Saturday, August 28, 2010

Oh the Creativity of Our Local Drivers

Earlier this week I documented yet another of the many examples that illustrates the creativity of Tucson drivers.  On our way home from another long day of classes, my roommate and I stopped at the grocery store.  It was in the parking lot that we encountered a seemingly oblivious driver who had positioned the vehicle, upon parking, so that it occupying two spaces.  As I was reaching for my camera, to commit the moment to pixels, an individual on a cell phone emerged from the store and headed towards the area of the parking lot where the aforementioned vehicle was parked; with no regard for the traffic driving through the parking lot (or safety in general).  We then watched that individual get into the poorly parked vehicle and leave, remaining on the cell phone the whole time.  Thankfully it was raining a bit that day and I was able to photograph this moment of creativity sans the vehicle itself.
Evidence left by today's creative driver
 I would like to mention that in this instance, the creative driver was operating a vehicle with divided attention.  However, often times I witness creative driving by Tucson drivers who don't seem to be holding an electronic device, or anything but the steering wheel for that matter.  This is the why I like to call them creative drivers and not careless, dangerous, distracted, or oblivious drivers even though they are surely that too.  The lesson I have learned while residing in the city I have come to love is:  while driving expected the unexpected, quite literally, at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment